Archive | September, 2013

Delays and more delays…

22 Sep

You know the more delays I encounter just allow me more time to think of how much I have spent on this project.

Let’s run down the list of what I will be using actually. This doesn’t include tests and blown parts:

1500 gram ballon $160 x 2
MT-AIO HB $400
Mt-fox 15 $80
Mt-rTG 50 $210
Raspberry PI and misc parts $150
Beofang HT’s $40 x2
Wouxun HT $110
Radar reflector $50
Dacron cord $40
Payload capsule $50
Plexi glass $25
Parachute $60 x 2
Helium (if purchased) $212
Cross band thing $100
Misc stuff $350
Lithium batteries $40
Tools $200

Total time 1.5 months of effort

Ugh I gotta launch this thing otherwise this is a lot of cash thrown out the window.


We have a GO from the FAA

21 Sep

UPDATE: 3:45PM 21 Sept 2013:

We are at a NO GO

All my apologies for yet another cancellation. However I need to be at 90% certain that my weather ballon experiment will not harm anyone when it is in flight and or coming on down. As seen in the images below:

a.) The ballon on the current prediction path for tomorrow is going completely the wrong way. As a result, this ballon will most likely land within a residency area which is to much of a risk.

b.) I currently have approval to go into Restricted airspace 2515.  By seeing this flight prediction below puts me outside of my sanctioned flight area.


hibal_09222013 hibal_ppath_airspace


UPDATE: Sept 21st 9:38am NOTM Notice to Airmen via Prescott Center has now been filed for civilian aircraft within the area.

PROBLEMS: Currently the ballon is now projected to land within San Bernardino… aka it is going the wrong way. If the forecast holds tomorrow my second attempt will be scrubbed. However at this moment if I were to launch today the landing airspace is 100% correct… aka mother nature is doing what she normally does in that area.

Thats right folks…. we are a go for September 22nd, 2013 at 09:00 (local time)

So EXCITING my first HIBAL. Please stay tuned a lot of information to follow.

However, I just want to say thanks to ‘Edwards’ for releasing the airspace under 6K.

Are we good

17 Sep

So looks like the weather and all maybe a go. Possible launch day is Sept 21st 10am at San Bernardino county fair grounds.

Landing location possibly east of highway 247 south of Barstow

Wow Tarheel II

13 Sep

So I just took my MFJ analyzer to my Jeep and low and behold 80 meters is really possible.


The official chase vehicle

8 Sep

Well… still trying to get a new date on when I will launch the ballon. However the one item that I knew I was missing was a official chase vehicle.. So what’s a ham supposed to do? That’s right! Over come all obstacles… Once the wife says its ok.

As a result, I have now purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon edition. This weekend I wired it all up to have my little FT-817. However I am thinking of putting a FT-857 in instead. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Any how, while I have so far good signal reports UHF/VHF). I still need to get the HF side working (need an antenna). More to follow.